Saturday, September 18, 2010

I'm Back and Something's Broken

Good morning, boys and girls and culturally-specific third genders.  It's been a while indeed, but I'm back.  There's a lot to tell, but that, as Scheherezade would have said, is another story.  I have been to four states, worked two jobs (one of which was almost literally the job from Hell), and seen things even I once though were impossible.  I've taught turtles to fly, walked on water, and witnessed forgotten Native American battles.  And I will tell those stories.  Tonight, however, I have something different to say.

Of late, I feel like the world is changing around me.  And not in that cosmic sense that the elderly and increasingly the middle-aged are portrayed to feel in movies and TV shows.  More of a literal "something happened which did not actually happen at the moment it should have happened" thing.

It started small.  People saying they had said things to me which I had not witnessed only moments before.  It's easy enough to dismiss something like that.  Maybe I wasn't paying attention.  Maybe they thought they had said it.  Maybe a third thing which fits in this line of reasoning.

Then bigger things started changing.  The colors of friends' cars.  Which key opened what door.  And then tonight.

Tonight I was playing in a poker tournament my RA organized.  It was a whole lot of fun and I was winning until the cards changed.  I had a nine and a seven in my hand, on suit.  The flop was laid out as such that there were two nines and a seven.  I went all in.  A full house; there was no way I could lose!  But then the cards went fuzzy.  I blinked a few times.  Then we showed our hands.  I should have had a full house, but where the nines once stood, there lay a king and a jack!  (off suit)  I lost the hand and the game.  It was just a dorm activity so nothing was lost, but still.  The scale and frequency of these reality changes are increasing.  And I'm sort of worried.

Either that or I'm going crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment