Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dragons in the Mists and Shadow Highways

It was foggy out this morning.  The entire campus was shrouded in thick fog.  It was kind of nice but I was a bit worried that I would run into a dragon on my way to class. 

Dragons are imaginary.  They weren't always.  The naturally-occurring variation was wiped out in the dark ages by glory-seeking knights.  But they are now (and that's another story, as Scheherazade would say).  Regardless of what the old ones were like, the imaginary sort are generally intelligent but vicious and greedy.  And they live in fog banks.

I dunno why.  I guess it's something about the fog bank's "mysterious aura" and the concept still ingrained into our collective consciousness that "here there be dragons".  They're weird, too.  They seem to take whatever form of the most powerful emotions and thoughts around them.  To that point, I've encountered dragons formed apparently of test anxiety, the color purple (but not the play), and Hello Kitty.  They've all got weaknesses and things they can't do, too.  Most notably, I was able to slay a large sulphur-breathing one on the Arkansas River two years ago by scratching it with a plastic fork (again, Scheherazade's excuse).

Mercifully, I wasn't attacked.  But that leaves me the other thing I intended to bring up in this post.  I sit now at the doctor's office in my home town.  It's a surgery followup, but I'm sure I'm fine.  Anywhat, my home is some 80 miles from my university.  It's a bit of a drive.  And though I've become more comfortable driving on the interstate, I'm still a pretty paranoid driver when I'm on it.  That self-induced heightened awareness paid off today when I noticed something running alongside my own stretch of highway.  It was another set of roads I hadn't ever noticed before.  It wasn't the opposite direction's lanes, because that's always been to my left.  This path was on the right.  Before I knew it, the second highway was running off the ground without any support, sometimes parallel to me, sometimes perpendicular to my own, sometimes running the other way entirely.  Oddly enough, I didn't see any vehicles or on ramps and off ramps.  And LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE, nobody seemed to notice.

This warrants further study.

No comments:

Post a Comment