Sunday, November 29, 2009

Fairy Tales

I was going through some of my old storybooks this morning while packing up to head back to school.  I found lots of old stories with surprisingly harrowing events.  (My parents had good taste in picking books of legends and fairy tales.)  I know the Victorian Age and later Disney really sanitized the way we look at these things, but really they're incredibly dark.  And they taught us valuable lessons.  If you go looking for fear, it'll find you. (The Boy Who Found Fear At Last)  Don't trust strangers and don't get in bed with strange people. They'll eat you. (Little Red Riding Hood)   I suppose that darkness makes sense, though.  These stories were meant to protect us.  And not just in mundane ways as I said in an earlier rant.

I don't want a fairytale wedding.




No comments:

Post a Comment